What corrections can be made?

Corrections to a birth registration can only be made when the information is wrong (e.g. a mistake was made when recording a parent's job).

You cannot apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you have registered your child's birth (e.g. you change your name after getting married again).

However, you can apply to re-register the birth if the biological parents get married at a later date. See re-registration of a birth.

Who to apply to

  • For minor mistakes (such as a parent's job, birthplace or address), contact the Register Office where your child's birth was registered.
  • For mistakes involving things like names, you will need to apply to the General Register Office (GRO) by completing the relevant form (available on the GOV.UK website).

If you are unsure who to apply to, please contact:

What happens if you change gender?

If your gender change is approved, you will get a new, free short birth certificate with your new gender on it.

What the correction looks like

If your application is approved, a correction is made in the register in the office for the area where your child was born.

The original information will always be shown in the register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

All standard (full) birth certificates that are issued from this time will include the note in the margin.

Short birth certificates only include the child's details and will not have a note in the margin – they will just include any correct new details.

For more information about corrections, including details of who can apply and how long the process takes, please see correct a birth registration on the GOV.UK website.

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.