Occasional Use Notice (OUN)


Occasional Use Notices (OUNs) are used to permit licensed betting operators - with the appropriate permission from the Gambling Commission - to use tracks for short periods of betting at events which are temporary or infrequent.

An OUN can only be used for eight days or less in a calendar year.

If the criteria is met for the occasional use notice, there is then no need for a betting premises licence for the track.


There is no fee for an OUN.

Application Form 

The OUN should be served in writing (including by electronic means):

Eligibility Criteria 

  • You can serve an OUN if you are the person responsible for the organisation of events on the track or an occupier of the track.
  • Consecutive days can be specified on the OUN but the overall limit of eight days per calendar year should not be exceeded.


The OUN, which should specify which day it relates to, must be served on B&NES Licensing Services and copied to the Chief Officer of Police for the area in which the track is located.


If the criteria is met for the OUN there is no opportunity for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

Right of Appeal 

Please contact your legal advisor or Licensing Services. 


Compliance with the Gambling Commission Code of Practice is a condition of any permit or notification. 


The OUN will be valid for the specified date(s) only.


Please contact either B&NES Licensing Services or the Gambling Commission for further guidance.

Relevant Legislation

Gambling Act 2005

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted.  Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.
Laws can and do change.  Information was accurate when produced, but may have changed since.  We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.

Trade Associations 


Customer Complaints 

If you wish to make a complaint please complete the online submission form.

Further Information 

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email

Additional contact details.

Help us improve this content

Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Data protection notice

Data protection notice

The information you have provided may be shared across Bath and North East Somerset Council for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry. We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless your consent has been given or the law allows this.

The use of your personal information is covered by our registration under the Data Protection Act 1998. You can, under this legislation, request a copy of the information we hold about you. If any information we hold about you is incorrect please let us know.

Bath and North East Somerset Council is committed to upholding the principles of the Data Protection Act, and will not process your information in a way incompatible with these principles.

The Council’s Information Compliance Office can be contacted on (01225) 477000 or via email at

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.5 (2 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.