Child Tax Credit

Parents and carers can receive help towards costs of bringing up children under the age of 16, or under 20 if they are in full-time education or approved training (up to and including ‘A’ levels, NVQ level 3 or equivalent). You could be eligible for this help whether you are working or not. The amount of help you receive depends on your circumstances.  Help with child care costs is not given through Child Tax Credit.  If your child has a disability, or if you are responsible for a child with a disability, you may qualify for extra Child Tax Credit to help with the cost of looking after them

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit supports working families (employed or self –employed) on low incomes by topping up earnings. It's paid to working families if you and/or your partner are working at least 16 hours a week, you are aged over 16 and you are responsible for a young child or young person. There are extra amounts for:

  • Working at least 30 hours a week
  • Working people who have a disability, and
  • The costs of ‘registered’ or ‘approved’ childcare, known as the childcare element.

Childcare Element of the Working Tax Credit

Extra help with the cost of prescribed (or registered) childcare may be available through the childcare element of Working Tax Credit. It can cover up to 70 per cent of the costs of childcare, up to a maximum of £175 per week for one child and £300 per week for two or more children – so if you have one child in childcare you could receive up to a maximum of £122.50 per week and with two or more children in childcare you could receive up to £210 per week, but this is dependent on your income (the lower your income the higher your Tax Credit amount).  This amount is the same for disabled and non-disabled children, but for disabled children you can claim until the end of the week including 1st September following their 16th birthday (15th birthday for non-disabled children).

To be eligible for the childcare element of Working Tax Credit:

  • Lone parents must work 16 hours or more per week
  • For couples, both partners must work 16 hours or more or
  • One partner must work 16 hours or more per week if the other is incapacitated, in hospital or in prison

Help for Lone Parents

For help with the cost of childcare for lone parents, specific to employment and training, visit or contact your local Jobcentre Plus on 0845 604 3719 to find out more.  

Tax Credit Calculator

Get an estimate of how much in tax credits you could get in total, from today’s date to the end of the tax year. You’ll see your result as a lump sum. The calculator uses current rates (it can’t calculate tax credits for future years).

To talk to someone about Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit, to find out if you are eligible for help or to apply call the Tax Credit helpline on 0345 300 3900  

Universal Credits

If you’re making a new claim for benefit because you’ve recently become unemployed or are on a low income, you may be able to claim Universal Credit. This will depend on where you live and your personal circumstances.

Find out more about Universal Credit and how to claim online at GOV.UK

You will need to apply for Universal Credit online. If you don’t have access to the internet you can visit the Bath One Stop ShopThe Hollies, Midsomer Norton, the Keynsham One Stop Shop or any local library in Bath & North East Somerset. Please note that you need to have a personal email address in order to submit your online application for Universal Credit.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.5 (2 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.